Beeswax offers multi-account functionality, which enables a single Buzz instance to support multiple business entities without any overlap of data. All objects are contained within the account they are created in, however certain objects can be shared across accounts by users with the appropriate access.
User permissions allow you to create separate account access for each of your customers. They can be given full access to the UI and reporting for a single account or for a subset of accounts. All actions taken within Buzz are restricted to the scope of the account or account group to which the user belongs.
The diagram below shows the relationship between Buzz Keys, accounts, users, roles & permissions:
Creating New Accounts
Documentation on how to create new accounts via the API can be found here. To create an account in the UI, follow the below steps:
- In Buzz, select Admin > Accounts > +New > Account.
- In the Overview page, fill in all the required fields (marked with an asterisk).
- Account Groups let you associate an account with multiple account groups at the time of creation.
- All Accounts in an Account Group must share the same Customer Buzz Key.
- Click Save to continue or exit.
- Next, on the Settings page, fill in the desired fields for the following sections:
- Third Party Extensions
- Click Save to continue or exit.
- Next, on the Exchange page, you can see the exchanges that you can select to make it viewable on the Line Item > Targeting. Select the checkbox to include the desired exchanges as options for Line Item > Targeting.
- Click Save.
The account a user is created in is considered their Primary Account. They will always have access to this account so long as their user remains active. For additional levels of account access see the options below:
When this flag is enabled it denotes that the user has access to all accounts within the Buzz Key.
Note: This setting was formerly known as “Multi-Account”
All-account Users can:
- Create, view and edit Accounts
- Create, view, edit and delete Account Groups
- Masquerade (authenticate) into other Accounts
- Create, view, edit and delete objects in Accounts other than the one in which they belong
- Share objects between accounts
- Create new All-account Users
- Pull reports across Accounts
Documentation on how to create new All-Account users via the API can be found here. To give a user All-Account Access in the UI, navigate to the Users panel from the Admin dropdown, select the appropriate user, and toggle the flag to “Yes”.
Account Groups allow administrators to define a user’s access to a subset of accounts within the Buzz Key. If a user is associated to multiple Account Groups, they will have access to all accounts within those Account Groups. If a user is associated to an Account Group and has the All-Account Access flag set to Yes, the latter will take precedence, giving them access to all accounts in the Buzz Key.
User actions are defined by their assigned Role, but they may perform any of the allowable actions across the accounts to which they have access.
Authenticating into other Accounts
If you have multiple accounts set up for your Buzz Key, you can easily navigate from one account to another:
- Select the Account Name at the top right-corner of the page.
- From the dropdown, select an account you want to navigate into.
Creating New Account Groups
To create an Account Group in the UI, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Admin -> Account Groups from the Nav Bar.
- Click on +New -> Account Group to bring up the ‘New Account Group’ dialog.
- Fill in all the relevant fields (required fields marked with an asterisk):
Sharing Objects across Accounts
Segments and segment categories (and the corresponding segments underneath them) may be shared between accounts within the same Buzz instance. Sharing these objects between accounts can be done via the API only. For more info on the API calls required, please see https://docs.beeswax.com/docs/segment-sharing and http://docs.beeswax.com/docs/segment-category-sharing.
While users within a single account may only see reporting data from their own account, users with All-Account or Account Group access may pull data across all the permissioned accounts within their Buzz instance. From the Report Builder UI, they will see a “required” field for an Account ID Filter (this is distinct from the Account ID field). This filter can be set to a numeric account_id or the special term "any" which will allow querying across accounts (note, you will also likely wish to add the account_id as a field in the query definition)
By default, as seen above, this filter is set to the Current Account the user is masqueraded into. However, they can also select all the Permissioned Account IDs (in this case all Account IDs or Account IDs > 0). They can also change the logical “operation” to something like “is equal to” and select only a subset of Account IDs: