Cross Device Amplification
Cross-Device amplification allows customers to leverage person- and household-level links during targeting to expand the available inventory and reach for a given first party segment. Third party data is not currently supported. Our cross-device partners, TapAd and LiveRamp, are able to unify devices around two types of ‘link’:
Person Links grant the ability to connect the User IDs of devices that belong to a single individual. For example, a Chrome cookie linked to an IDFA would suggest that the user of both those devices is the same physical person.
Household Links connect all devices residing in the same physical household. For example, a Chrome cookie linked to a Safari cookie, two IDFAs, and three CTV IDs would suggest that all these devices reside at the same address (but could be used by different individuals within the household).
Cross-device can be applied at the Campaign or Line Item levels, and can be used to extend the reach of targeted segments. For example, if a user’s cookie ID is in a segment being targeted, then Beeswax will enable the Line Item to identify and target bid requests coming from any of the devices that TapAd or LiveRamp has linked to the cookie ID in question.
Cross-Device Amplification functionality can be applied using a number of settings:
|None||(default) No change from existing behavior|
|Person||Line item will match on requests where the user id is a member of the targeted segment (standard behavior) AND requests where the user id is person-linked to another user id that is a member of the targeted segment|
|Person Extend Only||This ensures that only the cross-device functionality is leveraged when using a segment. Line item will match on requests where the user id is person-linked to another user id that is a member of the targeted segment, but will not target the source user IDs that exist in the segment.|
|Household||Line item will match on requests where the user id is a member of the targeted segment (standard behavior) AND requests where the user id is household-linked to another user id that is a member of the targeted segment|
|Household Extend Only||Line item will match on requests where the user id is household-linked to another user id that is a member of the targeted segment, but will not target the source user IDs that exist in the segment.|
Costs and Billing
A CPM fee is incurred for the use of cross-device amplification, which will come through as a Vendor Fee, which you can see in the Vendor Report. Current fees are indicated within the Buzz UI.
Getting Started with Cross-Device
If you’re interested in using Cross Device with Beeswax, please reach out to Beeswax Support to enable Cross-Device Amplification for your buzz key. You can be enabled for TapAd, LiveRamp, or both. Once it has been enabled:
1.To confirm a Beeswax Segment is eligible for use with cross-device, ensure the “Extensible” toggle option is set to “Yes” in the Edit Segment screen:
2. To set the default cross-device setting for an entire Campaign (and therefore all child Line Items), navigate to the Edit Campaign screen, select the desired "Extension Vendor," and set the “Segment Extension” field to the desired setting. Or, to set the cross-device setting for a specific line item, navigate to the Edit Line Item screen, select the desired "Extension Vendor," and set the “Segment Extension” field to the desired setting:
"Segment Type" as seen above is currently a feature in Closed Beta and will only appear for participating customers.
4. Set the Campaign or Line Item to Active and then Save & Close it to traffic the changes. The Line item(s) will serve as normal, and cross device will be applied in real time to any first party segments targeted by the line item.
Extension to Connected TV
In order to extend to Connected TV, select Household or Household Extend Only options and your line item will begin to target CTV connected IDs as well.
When a customer selects Household or Household Extend Only options, below are the expected behaviors for CTV:
- Starting with Web (Cookies) → Extends to In-App Households AND CTV Households
- Starting with In-App (MAIDs) → Extends to Web Households AND CTV Households
- Starting with CTV (CTV IDs) → Extends to Web Households AND In-App Households
If a customer selects Person or Person Extend Only option it will work as follows:
- Starting with Web (Cookies) → Extends to In-App Persons
- Starting with In-App (MAIDs) → Extends to Web Persons
- Starting with CTV (CTV IDs) → Will not extend to any additional Persons as CTV IDs are not mapped to Person IDs
- LiveRamp -- LiveRamp's graph is based on their Identity Link ID (IDL) and is deterministic, which requires multiple data points to say an ID is the same person or household. It is recommended for campaigns that require high accuracy.
- TapAd -- TapAd's graph is probabilistic, which does not require as many data points to say an ID is the same person or household. It is recommended for campaigns that require high scale.
Q: Does cross-device work with third party data?
A: Currently we do not support third party data for this use case.
Q: Can I use cross-device in Advanced Filtering?
A: Yes! If you are contracted for Advanced Filtering, ensure your Beeswax Customer Success Manager enables your traffic to include Cross-Device extended traffic.
Q: Can I use cross-device for attribution? Frequency capping? Reach reporting?
A: We do not support these use cases right now, but these are all future use cases we plan on implementing. Beeswax Professional Services can potentially assist with attribution use cases so reach out to your Customer Success Manager if you are interested.
Q: How does cross-device work with bid modifiers?
A: If you are using segments in their bid modifier terms, the bid modifier will be applied to segments linked via cross-device as if those segments were associated with the original user id on the bid request.
Q: Are there geographic restrictions? What about GDPR?
A: Cross-device is only available in North American (NAM) data centers.
Q: Do we plan on adding other cross-device vendors? Can I use Drawbridge?
A: As of now, only LiveRamp and TapAd is supported, but other vendors may be added in the coming quarters.
Q: What is the use case for "Person Extend Only"?
A: Customers may want to bid differently or have different budgets for first party data vs extended data. This capability allows you to set up a line item that only has extended data.
Q: Do customers need any additions to their Beeswax contracts to access this feature?
A: No, all Beeswax customers can utilize this feature under their standard agreements. Contact your Beeswax Customer Success Manager to have this feature enabled.
Q: Why does CTV only extend to households and not persons?
A: Connected TVs exist in concept only at the household level. There are no plans for support at the person level.
Q: When targeting CTV, what if I extend on a line item without video creatives?
A: Standard matching will apply. If you don’t have video creatives on your line item you will be unable to match CTV inventory.
Q: What if I have video creatives but do not want to extend to CTV?
A: If you extend your audience, you should exclude “Connected TV” in Device Type targeting.