Deals and CPM Override for Deals
Deal IDs are a unique targeting parameter in that they inherently include additional properties that impose bidding restrictions, namely a floor price. This price is a pre-negotiated rate, and Beeswax will not submit bids underneath this rate. The Deal page houses these properties, and allows for Deal ID targeting to explicitly expose this bidding restriction.
Similar to how you can create a list or a segment, you can log your deals and store them within Beeswax for them to be used later on in targeting. The screen that contains all deals created can be found under the Trafficking menu -> Deals
The user can click on +New to fill out a deal form to log a new deal.
- Deal Name - exposed in targeting for easier deal selection.
- Inventory Source - exchange/SSP that issued the deal.
- Deal ID - ID generated by the exchange/SSP. Unlike when targeting Deals in Beeswax, do not include the Beeswax exchange handle on this ID
- Advertiser - used for filtering available deals. If set, this deal will only be exposed on the targeting screen for line items belonging to the selected advertiser. If left blank, this deal will be an account level deal and will be available across all advertisers.
- Publisher - name of publisher, if applicable.
- Deal Type - one of three values:
- Open Auction (any buyer)
- Private Auction (only specific buyers)
- Preferred (price or other preferred priority)
- Guaranteed (specific buyer at with additional business rules, i.e. bid rate, price etc).
- Supported Format - used for filtering available deals. If set, this deal will only be exposed on the targeting screen for line items matching the format selected.If left blank, this deal will be available across all types of line items.
- Currency - used for filtering in targeting. If currency of the deal does not match the currency of the line item, the CPM Override set in this screen won’t show up automatically within Targeting, and the CPM override will need to be manually set in the Targeting screen. More information on CPM Override below.
- CPM Override - the default CPM Override value applied when the deal is targeted. Leave this blank if you would not like the CPM to be updated. More information on CPM override below.
- Floor Price - the price used for validation to make sure all the override price on targeting is higher than the floor price defined.
- Start Date and End Date - used to filter deals available in targeting. If the end date is before today’s date, the deal will not show in the list.
- Alternative ID and Notes are standard Beeswax fields used to add additional information on the object.
- Archived determines if the deal can be selected for targeting. It shows/hides this deal in the deal field within targeting.
Once created, the new deal will show up in the Deals table view. Standard features like edit, duplication, activity logs, and archive/unarchive can be found in the dropdown menu at the end of each row in the table.
Deal CPM Override
On the targeting screen under the Deals targeting field, there are two format options for the user to toggle between:
- List view: This view will source Deals the user has created
- Comma separated text field for manual input of deals without creating a Deal object
Note: Deal ID Lists are still available for use in targeting.
For both of these options, once a deal has been selected, an option to override CPM bid will be shown. For the deals where an Override CPM is defined on the object, the price will automatically be applied. If left blank, the line item is going to fall back to the line item’s CPM specified on the overview screen. Note that this feature will only be available for line items using bidding strategies where the user provides a flat CPM (CPM or VCR). Different CPM Override prices can be applied on different deal IDs.
The UI will not allow you to save a CPM Override that is lower than the Floor Price set on the Deal.
Q: Can this feature be used in Buzz 1.0?
A: No, the Deals feature is only supported in Buzz 2.0
Q: Can all line items use the deal CPM override feature?
A: Only line items using a bidding strategy where a flat CPM is provided are eligible for deal CPM override.
Q: Why is my deal not showing up under the Deals field on the Targeting screen?
A: The deal might have been filtered out for several reasons:
- The Advertiser set on the Deal does not match the parent Advertiser for your Line Item.
- The Supported Format set on the Deal does not match the line item type (Display/Video/Native).
- The End Date set on the Deal is in the past.
Q: Can you apply Deals with different currencies on the same line item?
A: Deals can be targeted by line items with non-matching currency, but there is some nuance with how this works.
- The Deal's CPM Override will not be automatically applied, so any CPM Override will need to be manually set in the targeting screen.
- Manually entered CPM Overrides will be in the currency of the line item.
- Manually entered CPM Overrides that do not match the original currency of the Deal will not be subject to Floor Price validation. Please use caution to ensure the CPM Override is not too low, to ensure delivery.
Q: How does CPM Override interact with Bid Modifiers/Models and Bid Shading?
A: CPM Override will supersede the base CPM bid. Bid Modifiers/Models and Bid Shading will both work on top of the CPM Override.